Make a soundboard--Measurements

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 17:00:31 +1100

>What's the best way to make a shaped caul?
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

David,

This might help.

We build a spreadsheet for the sound board with which we calculated
the desired crown dimensions. These figures are used for drawing the
rib crowning jigs in CAD. The CAD drawing is then printed out on an
A2 inkjet printer (with appropriate lines and circles placed on the
drawing at strategic places to enable the A2 sheets to be joined
accurately). The profile jig printout is then glued onto a plywood
panel. The shape is then cut about 1 mm oversize with the band saw
and linished down to size using the horizontal sander.

Each rib has its own template for machining the rib crown. The radius
varies throughout, with a larger radius at rib 1 (in the bass) to a
smaller radius in the treble.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY