spinet hammer blow

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 23:43:36 +0100

Dave Nereson wrote:

> > I removed the felt squares from under the hammer rail to exazmine them; they
> > certainly appear original. I have indeed encountered verts where the
> > previous "tech" had "padded" or built-up the rail with felt (sometimes even
> > with what appeared to be a snippet of muting felt!) in order to quickly
> > eliminate lost motion..boy I HATE that!  L A Z Y !!!
>
>     Building up the hammer rail felt or the rest pads for same will increase, not eliminate lost motion.  Felts or pads added to the rest pads are usually put there to set the blow back to normal after filing hammers, which on very worn hammers can remove 1/8" or more of felt.  Adding these pads of course increases the lost motion and then the capstans have to be turned up, which sometimes also makes the dampers lift too soon, and with the hammers filed, the let-off is now wider, so that has to be re-regulated, and usually the dip and backchecks also.  So those added-to pads are sometimes a sign not of laziness, but of someone's major regulation job.
>

>     Thought so.  Glad it worked out!   --David Nereson, RPT

Correcto there David... but sometimes you run into the reverse problem... for some reason or another there is reverse lost motion and the jacks wont slip under, or not easily enough. If the whole piano is like this, and you have only a few minutes to fix it...then jacking the rail forward will do the quick fix. Bad form IMO, and in the instance definatly either laziness or a too little time scenario.... I've seen this from time to time.

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne