Irate Customer

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 08:51:26 +0100

Terry

This is always quite a bit easier to handle then it may often seem.
Obviously there is a problem with the instrument that has nothing to do
with tuning, pitch, or any thing you do whilst performing your usual
tuning / general service duties. You customer simply needs to understand
that her piano must be expected to be able to react positively to
standard service proceedures such as tuning.  If it does not, then there
is something wrong with the piano that should be addressed.

All you can do is make that point as calmly and clearly as you can. If
she can see this very basic reasoning, then you can offer to help her
identify and assess the degree of the problem and how to fix it. If she
insists on being totally unreasonable, then you can do no more for her,
and simply have to write it off.

Customers often want to blame a piano tuner for negatives that come to
light during a regular service session. I just tell them that if the
piano reacts badly to play, service, or general use.... then there is
something wrong with the piano, not the player, servicer, or general
user.

Cheers
RicB

--