short trebble

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 06:40:09 -0500

Hello St=E9phane,

I strongly suggest that you make accurate measurements of downbearing - =
front and rear - at at least three points in each section of the scale =
(perhaps more in the troublesome high treble) with a bubble-type =
downbearing gauge. Then also stretch a string across the bottom of the =
soundboard between and parallel to each rib and accurately characterize =
the soundboard shape. I have a 1900 Bechstein model A1 in my shop that =
has a horribly weak treble - it has tons of rear bearing and negative =
front bearing and the soundboard has an "S" shape to it parallel to the =
ribs. IMHO, until the above is done, it is very difficult to make any =
reasonable conclusions regarding the benefits of soundboard replacement =
in solving a short sustain in the treble.

If all or some of the above is "bad", then that MIGHT be the source of =
your trouble. I all above is "good", then one should look elsewhere for =
the cause of the short sustain.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: St=E9phane Collin=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 4:33 AM
  Subject: Re: short trebble

  Hello Michael.

  Yes, I meant varnish on the top of the bridges.  From previous =
comments, it appears that the cosmetic and sealing layer of varnish, =
even on the top of the bridge, should have little or no effect on the =
sustain of the notes, which I verified by scraping that varnish from the =
top of the bridge, and ascertaining that there was no better sustain.  =
But not all agree with this statement, and still, me too, have hard time =
understanding why there is no acoustic difference between with or =
without a coat of varnish.

  Any other idea about how to improve sustain ? (I checked for =
downbearing at front and rear of the bridge, checked for lose joints =
between the soundboard and the rim, checked for loose pins in the =
bridge.  I was suggested to replace the soundboard, which I was about to =
do, and asked a quote at the Bechstein factory (anyway, FAR too =
expensive) and the guy there told me he wouldn't do that, pretending =
they can't beat the quality of those old soundboards (but this is =
another thread).)

  St=E9phane Collin (B)