Geo. Steck upright

Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:02:06 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Nereson" <davner@kaosol.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 03, 2003 10:45 PM
Subject: Re: Geo. Steck upright

>     While some piano makers went to nickel-plated windings rather than
copper during wartime (WW I was 1914-1918), sometimes they were used just
because they were less expensive (I presume).  I've seen nickel windings on
old pianos from the early 1900's when no war was going on.  At any rate,
the serial number and an atlas is better for finding the year of
manufacture (if records are available).

More likely pure iron. There were also quite a few pianos built with copper
plated iron, presumably to help cut down on the rust. I don't recall ever
seeing nickel or nickel plated wraps.

Del