Geo. Steck upright/Dave Nereson

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:47:56 -0800

Dave Nereson said: " While some piano makers went to nickel-plated windings
rather than copper during wartime (WW I was 1914-1918), sometimes they were
used just because they were less expensive (I presume).  I've seen nickel
windings on old pianos from the early 1900's when no war was going on."

Dave,
You're not entirely correct here. First the "nickle-plated windings..." is
incorrect. The windings were Silver/Nickle plated. Having done "buckets" of
scale evaluations, I've learned to recognize what the scale designers had in
mind with SilNic windings. It was used primarily for a better transition
between plain wire and wound, at the break. Most of the scales, I've seen
with SilNic, were very good with the "transition" of the two bridges. There
was some real R&D in this regard!
Also, I truly doubt that the SilNic winding was cheaper! Think about it.<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I