Leveling Coils Again

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:57:38 -0500

Thanks to all for the responces on my query.
Some added comments:
	Terry Farrell , your picture of the rusty pins and wire come real
close.  No rust in this piano but the leveling of the strings looks
very familiar.  Some pins had 2 coils, some 3 and 4.
	I'll get in touch with Joe and get one of the coil lifter/pin
drivers, good suggestion. And thanks for the other information.
 And thanks also Joe Goss.

	Richard Brekne,  My criteria for saying the pins were too high above
the plate is:  Even with the lower coils not being pulled up level
under the becket, the bottom coil string layed at an angle from the
pin down to the bearing bar.  I didn't measure the height above the
plate to the top of the pin, but had the third and second coils been
pulled up there would have been a very dramatic angle.
	And thanks for the rest of the information.

Joe Garrett, Yes, the impact coil setter is what I was refering to.
A scanned picture of your modification to the coil setter would be
benificial, And thanks for your information.

I'll be back to tune this piano again in May 2004 and I wanted to be
prepared to make good recommendations on fixing this piano.
This retired husband and wife do have the "bread" to lay out for the
work.  They were very interested in my initial comments on what I saw
as being less than good workmanship from the previous "tooner".
Especially when she had it restrung 20 years ago,  wrote the check
and didn't tell her husband. I doubt that he even has any idea what
the guy charged them.  Oh well,  I've logged in another customer on
my list.

Many thanks to all.
Regards, Gordon Holley