"training" pianos?

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 05 Nov 2003 06:53:07 -0500

Right on, Jim.

Here's an example of a piano owner doing things right.  She and her husband bought a
Walter studio piano in 2001.  It was to 27 cents flat the first time I tuned it in
October 2001.  Four months later I installed a complete humidity control system.
Tuned 3/02, was to 23c flat.
Tuned 7/02, was to 19c flat.
Tuned 12/02, was to 16cb.
Tuned 4/03, was to 8cb.
Tuned 10/03, was to 4c flat.
The customer has now opted for annual tunings, and this piano is never going to change
much.

All too often new piano owners think the piano doesn't need tuning for a long time
since it is new.  This perception isn't helped by the piano being delivered often
without even an elementary brochure on its proper care.  I still get upset when I think
about that too much.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT