Convex Plate

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 06:05:36 -0800 (PST)

Terry,
  Thing #1: I used a taut string to verify that the
edge of the veneer cap is straight. The plate bowed
6mm toward the player in the center.

  Thing #2:  Each end of the plate is recessed under
the cap 6mm.  The center is flush (i.e. no exposed
plate to measure).

  Thing #3: (Hey!! you said two things!!)  The tuning
in the center is NOT more flat in the center than the
top.  In fact the top was about 200 cents flat.

  Not going to be tearing into it. I advised the
customer of the probability of a pinblock separation.
Also, IMHO, it needs keytops, keybushings, regulating,
hammer shaping, some hammer butt flange repinning,
replace bass dampers, along with the alleged pinblock
repair before I would recommend it to a family who
wants a piano for the kids to take lessons.

Dave