Yamaha hammers--Glenn C.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:44:27 EST

In a message dated 11/4/2003 6:14:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Crashvalve@aol.com writes:

It's been my perception that 70-76's vintage Yamahas had quite soft hammers
either from the press or by voicing so they would sound at their peak in the
showroom, and five years later they would be snarly and hardened. Is this a
perception others on the list have as well ?
Glenn C.
        Glenn
   This is so true.  My Dad was a Yamaha dealer & we actually lost sales back
then from clients who wanted a brighter sound. They bought Kawais. well
that'll never do,So IMHO the company responded by less voicing & harder pressed
hammers. Hence the term coined by Paul Bailey"--Petrified Felt!"!!!!! can be so
true. I don't think the hammers were softer just more thorough factory voicing.
I've stabbed so many needles In Yam. hammers in the past it gave me tendeon
itis. grin. No woder I like softer hammers ehh?
  Interesting now days I think on some models the hammers are more pliable &
I've heard some good things about them. I'm in the shop so much I'm kinda outa
that loop. Anbody else know?
   Dale
   Dale Erwin