Accu-Tuner ad

Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:30:47 +0100

Yes... well one has to remember that Al's perspective has always been one of
percieving the ETD more as a ETA. And I agree with him entirely. In the end
even the most sophisticated tuning device is totally reliant on whatever
definition for a tuning lies within its programing. That in itself puts a cold
edge on the result, and removes said tunings several steps from the world of
the artist. I know I know...the tune -offs... ya cant hear the difference....
etc etc... I just dont buy all that stuff. And I dont think our good Dr S
really does either. His whole point goes against that grain... Ears on... as
in big time.

That being said... he must have known a very large proportion potential ETA
customers out there would rather have a pure ETD. And he should have known
that a better attempt at a pure ETD would come along.

As an ETA... his is as good as any. It's more accurate at reading a frequency
then the resolution of any piano, its lightweight, and its battery lasts a
long long time. It perhaps lacks some of the educational value that Tune Lab
97 has,  but TL97 was an entirely different concept to begin with.

So from the perspective that an ETA will always require your ears to refine
the tuning.... then Al is probably more right then wrong. But comparing how
well these different devices do without ear refinement.... Verituner is bound
to do better.

Still, when one combines the accuracy of and ETA, with a so well refined
tuning algorithm that near perfect balance in one particular sense is achieved
every time... the end result is monotonous. Probably the best thing ever to
happen for HT enthusiasts when it comes down to it. :)

Cheers
RicB