Jet powertools

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:48:49 -0800

I have a Jet drill press and cabinet table saw at home.  I haven't had the
opportunity to use the drill press much yet.  I bought it because the local
wood workers supply opened a second store and was having a big promotional
sale.  My intent is for using it in the new shop when the building is
finally finished.  I've piddled with it a bit and it seems to be a
reasonable machine.  I looked at the Delta side by side and they were
virtually identical and both made in China.  What persuaded me to the Jet
was that it had a built in work light and the Delta did not.  There was also
a promotional special at the time which included a free mortising
attachment.

My cabinet saw is reasonable.  Not the greatest by any means but at $1000.00
it was the best I could afford at the moment.  It has a very smooth cast
iron table and a very fluid moving and accurate fence that is easily
removable.  My main complaints are that it is a bit on the wimpy side when
it comes to thicker stock such as ripping a 2x6 in half.  Ply wood or any
hardwood stock up to about 1" thick is no problem however.  This is largely
my fault since I could have easily opted for a more hefty version for about
$200.00 more.  I could of course put a bigger motor on it.  When I
permanently install it in the new shop I plan on wiring it for 230 volts
which should give it a bit more torque.

I have a small Jet band saw at the university.  Although it is full size, my
budget constraints here restricted me to the entry level version. It is a
bit wimpy but it runs okay if you take your time with it.

Powermatic is the main parent company of Jet.  Powermatic machines are top
notch and rank among the best anywhere.  In my opinion they beat the snot
out of Delta with half their bolts tight behind their back.  Very accurate
and quality engineering.  They are however considerably more expensive but I
think well worth it.  I have a monster sized Powermatic 230 volt band saw at
home that would ripe utility poles lengthwise without taking a breath.  I
also have a beautiful Powermatic 5' jointer that is the prettiest honey you
will ever see in a shop.  I plan on getting a Powermatic 14" stationary
planer in the foreseeable future.

If you can afford the difference, go all the way and get the Powermatic.
Money well spent.  I hope to eventually trade in my Jet table saw for the
Powermatic.  I'll probably hang on to the Jet drill press, I haven't
detected any defects in it's design as of yet and they are really probably
the simplest of all shop machines.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV