Analine dyes and epoxy

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Wed, 05 Nov 2003 18:21:40 -0700

At 03:40 PM 11/5/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Can you safely mix analine dyes with epoxy?
>

>David Love
>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

David,
    Just make sure they're the alcohol soluble, as opposed to the water
soluble. I've mixed them with the blended epoxy, and with just the
individual components. The only real problems I had involved using them
when the wood wasn't well sealed. Some grain travel showed (rosewood) and
did odd things. Also, when using walnut analine dyes, it's a good idea to
hunt down and eliminate the occasional little red grain of dye. The dern
things don't always blend well, like they do in alcohol, and you can get
little red spots. With black, like Ed says, it's great. If you're using
black, though, sometimes it's easier to just use a drop or two of India
ink. Depends on the application, of course, but the ink blends very well,
and hasn't caused any problems with cure in most areas.

Wear your mask, and have fun,

Guy

Analine Dye tip number 32:
     Never open the envelope of green dye indoors.