Upside down Kimball spinet: anyone have casters for this?

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:33:03 -0600

Spring Valley Manufacturing is the new name of the old Kimball=
 Co.  The last communication I had with them (2 - 3 years ago)=
 they still had some replacement parts -- bass strings in my=
 case.  They are in Jasper and French Lick Indiana.
dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275

From: <Piannaman@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Upside down Kimball spinet: anyone have casters for=
 this?

This afternoon I got a call from a woman who stated that the=
 movers had broken the casters on the front "legs" of her piano. =
 I told her I'd squeeze in a look between appointments.  When I=
 got to her house, the Kimball spinet was wrapped in blankets,=
 and was upside down!  That was a first for me.

The front casters were indeed broken.  They are those=
 "futuristic" ball thingies that are virtually useless.  Finding=
 casters like this is not the problem.  How they attach to the=
 piano is another matter.

The casters are unremovably attached to the plates.  The legs are=
 rectangles of flat steel that function as legs with toe-blocks. =
 The caster plates attach to mounts of the same size that are=
 welded to the legs.  Each caster is attached to the piano by 4=
 machine screws around half an inch long.

Is there a storehouse of Kimball parts that anyone has knowledge=
 of that might have a set of these casters?  I will probably=
 fabricate some gliders out of wood and felt if I can't find=
 replacements.  Then I'll put the piano rightside up and tune=
 it(if possible).

Thanks,

Dave Stahl