Key dip

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:50:47 -0600

Subject: Key dip

Friends,

While tuning a 1980 Wurlitzer studio piano today I noticed some of the
bass hammers would damp the strings depending on how they were played.
Letoff was fine, but there was too much keydip, resulting in the
backchecks pushing the hammers into the strings after letoff.

It appears to me that all other specs will be in the correct range if
the keydip is reduced.  Can this be done by shimming up the front rail
of the key frame, if there are no shims to remove from under the balance
rail?  I've never tried this.  I could put card punchings under all the
front felt punchings, I know.  Advice?

Regards, Clyde

Clyde
Go for it.  It will tell you if the regulation is indeed correct, and maybe
eliminate the blocking.

Paul C