Yamaha hammers

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 19:07:41 +0100

Hi Andre,

About the Japanese needles, I consider now my voicing tool like a
precision device, once loaded with your needles (no colateral damage,
not even in the fingers)

Took me some time to appreciate them, because they are so sharp/thin
and I usually break when beginning to be less concentrated (or smiling
at the passing bird ...)

It is indeed good to know by advance that the needles will go there
exactly where you want to - less sharp needles tend to rebound on
dense felt, and we tend to be too much forceful then (and they break)
Soft needles (John James) I don't know how to use, nor why they are
used.

Yamaha C series I have used recently where all but stone hard, and
they open very neately with 30/50 jabs.

Till, a friend explain me he likes (for new hammers) to begin slowly
deep needle in the base of the hammers (just above the impregnated
part but in direction of the end of the fiber) , so to have a more
confident (mean denser ) material to work with when building "the
cushion" (TM)

I may say I should be inclined to do that if I don't feel enough the
fiber reaction while doing the first needling - I understand you
instruct to leave that "battery needling" for later correction of
underpowered notes, but I've find that too much needling the shoulders
when looking for elasticity can easely tend to a bad deformation near
the crown.

Can't the process of giving that supplement of density first give a
better control when building the cushion ? Or is a good voicer able to
get the most of a decent new hammer head without resorting to it .

As it have been noticed, modern hammers have often not a lot of
internal tension at first. I believe the tension is there under the
form of felt compression. The deep needling conducted, releasing more
(denser) material in the middle of the hammer, creates that tension up
to some point.

The fact that Wurzen felt is yet toning well without a lot of this
tension is of course appreciated. It is also a big advantage in humid
climates, as more inert fiber became totally mushy sounding when
Wurzen continue to sound nice. But on the other hand, the rebound on
the string being slower, some kind of tone are not allowed until the
hammer have packed down under use, I mean a few years may be.

The Steinway techs I know have been very surprized by the change in
felt when it occurs, when treated properly the older kind felt seem to
be reactivated a lot of time, and allow more easely the superpower
that is sometime needed by these instruments)

They where expecting Wurzen to hold less long, time seem to prove the
contrary, but they learned to needle less also I guess.

Thanks for your comments.

Voicing, the most important subject on earth after regulation and CO2.

Friendly Greetings

Isaac OLEG