Yamaha hammers

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:25:25 -0700

At 01:36 PM 11/6/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Has anyone had any success needling hammers from the side (actually pushing
>the needles into one side of the hammer until it comes out the other side).

Yes, lots. Works great.

>I tried this on a very hard hammer once where the needle kept breaking
>going in radially.  It certainly is easier to push needles in this way but
>I'm unsure of the results as compared to radial voicing.  Ari Issac
>recommends this method of voicing (i.e., needling into the side of the
>hammer).  Seems to me that you have to be extra careful with this method
>since there is more sideways force involved and it could loosen the flange
>pin.
>
>Corte Swearingen
>Chicago

Great article in the Journal not too long ago, called ( I believe) "Voicing
for the Rest of Us"... or something like that. Lays it out well.

I learned it from Ari, also, too many years ago. (wow... it was.... jeez...
long time ago) Anyway, learned it well. I almost always sit on the aisle.
I, uh.... kinda, uh... overflow, if you know what I mean.  Ari was walking
down the aisle, with a single needle tool in his hand, gesticulating while
he talked. Voiced my arm nicely. White shirt, too. The stuff you never
forget, y'know?

Most voicing is accomplished, I think, by a combination of techniques and
effort. Best to try them all, no?

Luego,
Guy