Fw: Yamaha hammers

Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:26:43 -0800

Michael:

I have not used this method before, but my arm, shoulder and elbow took a
vote for me to try it and I was the minority dissenter.  I agree with Andre
and others that you need to be able to feel how the felt is responding to
the needle which a Dremel probably won't allow.  This particular set of
hammers is just so unyielding to normal penetration even with a single
needle that I thought it was a good opportunity to try it.  I  have used
the Vise-Grip method in the past on various calcified hammers with some
success, though it doesn't really give the result that I would like.   Of
course, I'm not sure that any other method would have given me good results
with those particulars sets of hammers anyway.   When using the Vise-Grip
method I only do it on the high shoulders, never near the crown.  After
opening up the shoulders I then go back to the needles.  But, again, I have
only used it in extreme cases and would not recommend it as a routine
procedure.  Better to use a hammer that doesn't require these sorts of
gyrations.  Unfortunately, we don't always have a say on which hammer is
put on the pianos that we service.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net