Terry's irate customer

Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:39:21 -0000

Hello Terry Farrell:
You said:
"And luck was with me."
And it was! And I'm sure you feel a HUGE sense of relief! You persisted, =
you cogitated, you asked the list (I'm sure we all "prayed" for you!) =
and finally you won the day! It was NOT your fault.... but who cares =
whos' fault it was?=20
I am equally sure we all have had similar problems and you will get =
inundated with the stories...
Here's mine: It was a dark and gloomy day in the long shadows of the =
evening sun here in the Dowdlands of Sussex-by-the-Sea. The head of =
music and I were gazing disconsolately at the school's S&S "A" in the =
school chapel. "every time we move it the buzz comes on a different =
note" he said. So we looked and looked, we thumped the soundboard and =
there it was. Buz.z.z.z "There's got to be something in there" he said. =
I agreed. Providentially in my tuning kit I have one of those dentists =
small round mirrors on a long metal handle. Equally providentially the =
head of music (whose name, believe it or not, is Terry) had tucked away =
in his cupboard one of those long flexible probe things where three =
prongs come out of the business end when you press the plunger. These =
tools together with my powerful flash-light were sufficient. The school =
had lived with this problem for several years before I came on the =
scene. Now we looked most carefully under the plate with my mirror and =
there, caught lodged between the plate and soundboard was a foreign =
object. Spherical, just the right size and awesome! Carefully now. I =
inserted the long flexible tool with jaws extended. I managed to grab =
the object and, by Terry pressing down on the soundboard while I =
gingerly worked the foreign object toward me we extracted it. What was =
it? A marble? NO - a dirty great heavy ball bearing. It now resides in =
Terry's office, in a jar labelled "Extract of Steinway. Not to be taken =
lightly" The sun shone brightly thereafter the clouds had lifted and the =
Downs basked in the late evening glow. Now, some ten years later, I have =
the job of overhauling that same S&S on the schools' limited budget.=20
This is what the list is all about. Help when needed!
Regards to all
Michael G (UK)