Accu-Tuner ad

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:04:36 -0600

Wayne,

I've always been of the mind that using both Aural skills and ETD
measurements is better than each alone.  It makes sense, doesn't it?  The
more information you have, the more you can do with it (or the more
confused you can become).

I own a Verituner and to practice aural tuning, I would set it in manual
mode and go through my normal temperament sequence, being sure not to watch
the Verituner display.  Then, after I did the best job I could on the
temperament, I would check each note and see what the cents offset was on
the Verituner.  This was very helpful in sharpening my aural skills.

You can do the same with unisons.  Set a three-string unison the best you
can and then use the ETD to measure the relative differences between the
left/center string and the right/center string.

Although I trust my Verituner information, I still use aural check-points
as I go.  In this way, if things seem off, I can correct early on in the
tuning instead of waiting until the entire tuning is finished before
realizing I don't like it.

I know there are purists out there that may shun the use of ETD's but I
feel my customers deserve the benefit of the best technological advances
along with the use of aural verification checks with a critical ear.

Also, I like to experiment with alternate temperaments.  I'm not good
enough to tune all sorts of historical temperaments by ear so I must rely
heavily on the Verituner.  It's a matter of using something you trust.
I've never used an SAT product so I really can't comment.  All I can say is
that I've never had a complaint on a tuning using a Verituner.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago