Full Service Appointments

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 00:35:43 +0100

Agreed :

2 comments today : "my piano sound like when it was new" - and "gee,
that's a totally new instrument" for a large vertical TOYO and a 2.20
Grotrian, where I made cleaning, filing hammers, tightening screws,
the grand have been bring to pitch a week ago installed firm punchings
and a bit pre regulation done, today I almost finished regulation, and
do a basic voicing pass , plus tuning.

The complaint on this 4 years old Grotrian was that it was a very
singing instrument in when coming home, but after the first tunings,
the charm diseappear (indeed hammers where too much needled and
regulation not that expressive)

Now it begin to sing again ; for the vertical, took me 4 hours to do
the job, filing/mating voicing tuning, cleaning lubricating, side play
of keys ...
I don't consider I worked that fast in fact, just making one thing
then the other.

Customer pay happily pay me the same as if I made 6 service calls of 1
1/2 and I am planned for a following in a few weeks. and key bushings
are planned for April (these are professional musicians).

I prefer spending more time in the same place that running from one
customer to the other.

Absolutely necessary is to gain experience with shop repair to be at
ease in customer's home. Knowing how a piano is supposed to sound and
work is also helpful.

When a new customer call, I ask about the service history of the piano
and I say that possibly more than one trip will be necessary, then, I
offer to come to begin the job, I only tell my hour rate, explaining
that I'll spend probably 1 hour or 11/2 the first time but I will be
able to give a complete figure then.

I rarely tune only, I've tried to use a 90 min approach, but it turns
to be unrealistic too often.

I know of some colleagues that could work like that but prefer do
standard tuning schedule (and less heavy bag), in recession time, I
guess that is just a fear reaction.
On the other hand when the money is rare people appreciate not to
spend much, so I can understand that too.

I just have to wait for more willing to pay customers, the others
having the habit of asking a minimal work will always have a
supplementary work done if I work on their piano - I noticed that they
generally know that these services are necessary, but sometime, as
years go by and their tuner always do the same minimal job, they begin
to comfortably believe it is normal. It is not that difficult to wake
them up  (assuming you don't abuse of the situation !)

What I had to learn with time is that when I begin something, I may be
able to finish it (more or less) during the service call.

People are unable to understand completely that the newly shaped
hammers have to be voiced, or that the piano that was bring to pitch
need another tuning soon, they stay with the impression that you have
finished the work you where there for, even if you have to come later.

As when you begin to ameliorate the regulation and tone, the defects
stand up very apparent, one may be able to organize to leave things in
a reasoneable play state, this is the difficult part I guess.

Best regards to all full service techs !

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG
accordeur - reparateur - concert
oleg-i@noos.fr