Accu-Tuner ad

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 10:30:10 +0100

Ric, I guess you mean "oho's!not aha's !

Wayne,

As I see different kind of tuners tuning slighly different kind of
unissons - that I 'd like to try to compare - the words for that miss
me at the moment, but I believe it is a trade off between the
immediateness of the projection , the brillance, the live quality of
the tone the importance of the fondamental vs the higher partials, and
how it sustain.

(Tell about that to many tuners you'll have them ROLFL)

and that tuning unissons "building tone" is to be done fast and
securely,I still believe that the eare understand better than the eyes
what is going on in an unisson.

It is the phase we are after, after all, no doubt some circuitry is
able to check that - still I believe the delay time we have between
what we see and what we hear is in favour of the ear by ten times
(I've read that somewhere). Mind processing is faster for ear than
eyes and may be touch (?)

I believe it can be dangerous in fact to work on tuning unissons with
a display, as it can lend to straight tone (not only straight edged,
but basically straight), when ear and taste training allows for more
simplicity and an easier approach.

A too closed uninssion can tone like in a barrel, we may allow the
tone to escape from the piano, and that is clearly the impression it
gives on some little spot.

As we can yet count on the accuracy for justness of (some of !) the
modern EDT, it is a good opportunity to work directly on the part that
finally makes the big differnece between tuners, and developp its own
tone.

BTW, I've been said that the German people talk about the "voyel" when
they speak of voicing and /or unissons, a good demonstration have been
given once by one of our repected tuners, that let me listen how it
change from the tone "ih", to "eh", then "ah", then "Oh" !

Being able to produce a good precise tone with the playing hand is the
first lesson, learning how to not listen to the immediate tone is
another, while the phasing can be pretty immediate also if one likes
it.

Fun is also that phasing occur as well if beats are present, like in
honky tonk piano tuning , it can be easier to hear it then, as we are
less disturbed by the natural extinction of the note.

Having someone showing you some basics is very efficient indeed -
Friendly wishes to Dale, I hope it will work OK for you.

Remember the tone we regulate is not that long, playing 3 or 4
time/second a note in the medium range (faster in the treble) gives a
clue for what we have to regulate, assuming the voicing is not too
straight on the piano (heavily  laquered hammers are not very helpful
in that matter )

I hope that can help

Greetings

Isaac OLEG