Removing ivory without damaging it?

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 01:35:52 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Calin Tantareanu" <dnu@fx.ro>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 11:44 AM
Subject: Removing ivory without damaging it?

> Hello,
 > Could someone please tell me how to remove the ivory from piano keys without
> damaging it? I want to save the keytops for another piano.
  > Regards,
>  Calin Tantareanu

    If you're junking the piano or the keys, just stick all the keys in a bucket of (soapy) water.  They'll fall off before the end of the day.  Then dry the ivories on paper towels on a sunny windowsill, turning them frequently so they dry evenly on both sides.  Some will warp a bit anyway.   They can be clamped between flat surfaces while they dry, but then will take longer.
    If you have to preserve the original keys, then use the method of steaming them off with a wet washcloth and an iron.  Dampen the washcloth, fold it into a double layer, lay it on the ivories and apply a hot clothes iron.  Repeat a few times if necessary.
    --David Nereson, RPT