how to clean the ivory key from yellow to white

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 11:02:25 +0100

Bleach have to be sanded as it tend to open the pores of the ivory, I
also use to rinse the ivory with pure water .

Bleach is to be done with sun or UV lights (plus Peroxyde hydrogen 30%
vol ), I've read recently that dancing floors UV can be used, but my
experiments with one did not give good results ("black light tube")
I ordered a special UV tube that is used for growing some plants, or
aquariums, seem to work quite well.

Another kind of tube is available for disinfection in laboratories,
operating rooms in hospitals, been said they are very efficient but if
you look at it for 15 seconds, your eyes are itching like if you used
sanding paper on them, can be very dangerous, and you need then a
closed space for whitening the keys then.

There is a town in south of France, Nice, that was know for ivory work
(in the 30 's) they have a lot of sun there and it was a reason why.
They lay the ivory pieces in the direct sun for whitening.

Be happy, with the global climate change and the fair production of
CO2 we have, we will have more and more UV available soon, and as the
most important producers of CO2 (USA and Russia at this day) are
certainly not involved in any regulation about it "because that should
be a handicap for our economy" they say, our children will have nice
ivory keys without any special operation on them.

Sorry for ranting , thats my 15 minutes !

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG
accordeur - reparateur - concert
oleg-i@noos.fr