deaf tuning

Sun, 9 Nov 2003 15:50:05 -0000

Hello again Don Rose
reprise:you wrote:
>"How about 160 to 250 cents one pass ending up at A441? Close enough for
>you? Yes A0 to C8 using Reyburn Cyber Tuner,"
>I reply:
>Chromatically???
You didn't answer this Q but thanks for the "deaf tuning" bit.
The answer to your comment:
"I'm sure that nearly every tuner has had the experience of "accidentally"
being on the wrong tuning pin." How true! How true! The time it is more
likely to happen is in historic square pianos by Zumper or Pohlmann - late
18th. century (1786+-) when there's no definition relating the tuning pin to
the bicords - all intelligent guesswork and painstaking following the string
through the lengthy non-speaking part. For in these pianos the tuning pin
can be in a cluster at the Right end and without tell-tale felt washers to
guide. But I have done that on a Harpsichord in the Pit when some punter has
been firing questions at me - then I have to quickly return-by-guess the
affected pin and hope I get it nearly right  else when I get to tune that
note it's obvious I have erred - and that's no good.
Story:
To err is human. To forgive Devine.
You have erred. I forgive you.
Oh yes!... Did you say you did it chromatically? This pitch Rise? from A0 -
C88? with ETD?
Regards
Michael G (UK) Getting dark now in the Sussex Downs