smooth delicate and creamy

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 22:36:43 +0100

Michael, I guess when you say # it is just to say above, I should
consider that ten times too much on a concert instrument.

If I have to move the pin , let's say 1 or 2 degrees  I probably don't
raise above 15-20 cts, and the less possible as a generality (it may
depend of the rendering and the kind of piano indeed).

What I wanted to say is that sometime we just have to correct pin
setting on concert pianos, it moved for a reason or another then we
dont' have to move the tuning pin really, it works up to some point,
using the little supplement of tension that is in the tuning pin
string segment,  afterthat real turning of the pin is necessary (we
recognize that situation in the tuning lever feel and feel the things
falling in their original place)

The same if a regularely tuned piano have been left aside for some
time we have the impression that it can go back in its previous state,
where everything settle more naturally.

Pianos are having a lot of inertia, they like to be put where they
where before.

Otherwhile, I tune from above of course , not enough to be obliged to
pound plus turn the pin to settle, enough to leave the possibility to
spring the pin a little so it try to drive the note higher.

Generally things move very evenly afterthat, if they want to.

I suspect that the use of EDT narrow the range of raise we use ,
instinctively we move smaller increments.

Best regards

and good nite all !

Isaac OLEG
accordeur - reparateur - concert