Machines, again, (was Accu-Tuner ad)

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:01:38 +0100

Allen Wright wrote:

> Although the world IS becoming "virtualized" (as Richard points out) at a
> great rate, I can't help but think that there will always be people around
> who want to play acoustic instruments. The physical act is such an important
> part of the equation (eg., blowing through a horn rather than playing a
> sample of one at a keyboard). I guess a crucial question is whether there
> will be enough acoustic players to sustain the kind of support for the
> instruments that's necessary to keep skills like ours alive.

I think you hit the "crucial question" on the proverbial head there
Allen. Tho I agree whole heartedly with the sentiments expressed so
hopefully about the survival of acoustic music, and in particular the
acoustic piano.

> Analog electric instruments certainly expanded the listening possibilities,
> yet didn't render classical music obsolete, so maybe digital electric
> instruments won't either. But I agree with Richard that prediction is
> dangerous.

Grin... I dont know about dangerous... but its certainly a crap shoot if
you get my meaning. Its fun to look forward and speculate on what may or
may not come to pass, and perhaps doing so with a certain degree of
aprehension may help to keep us all on our toes as it were.

> I don't know what's gotten into me - I'm not usually such an optimist! :(

Come on... admit it... you're a positive kinda guy :)

> Best regards,
>
> Allen Wright

Cheers

RicB