Fw: More on the Broadwood piano

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:00:11 -0000

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Michael Gamble=20
To: Rob Goodale ; Pianotech=20
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: More on the Broadwood piano

Hello Rob Goodale who said:=20
"(someone commented on this a few days ago, I'm not sure who because =
it's on my other computer at home). "
I am the guilty party who commented on the action in your "find". I =
could only describe the way the hammer butts fit in on one long =
centre-pin captivated by about four (or may be five) brass "comb-like" =
plates. Under the main rail are the set-off screws. Be very careful =
here. Do not adjust unless you're certain they can be adjusted without =
breaking. In this I would suggest heating the shank of the set-off screw =
with a soldering iron in one hand and "wiggling" the correct size =
slot-head tipped regulating tool in the other. I have a book here =
entitled "Broadwood by Appointment  a History" by David Wainwright. =
Published by Quiller Press Ltd., 11a Albemarle St., London W1X 3HE in =
1982.
 ISBN 0  907621  10  4
I also mentioned the possibility of finding the various craftsmens names =
stamped on various parts of the piano and its action, suggesting you =
might find one of the Dove family included.
As for "who played this piano and what was played on it" most certainly =
Chopin. In fact I have an LP (remember those things?) of the last =
programme played by Frederic Chopin himself on a Broadwood Grand in =
London just before his death. The pianist, Kenneth van Barthold, played =
on the actual piano used by M.Chopin and the sale of the PLs was to =
raise funds for that piano's restoration. The piano is in a museum near =
London. Historical books on the life of Chopin are also of interest =
here. Indeed Beethoven himself was sent a Broadwood by the company in =
1818. Thomas Broadwood, head of the firm at that time, visited Beethoven =
in Vienna - then sent him a fortepiano. Beethoven wrote back to Thomas a =
thank-you letter "My very dear friend Broadwood, I have never felt a =
greater pleasure than your honour's intimation of the arrival of this =
piano with which you are honouring me as a present. As soon as I receive =
your excellent instrument, I shall immediately sernd you the fruits of =
the first moments of inspiration I spend at it, as a souvenir for you =
from me, my very dear B, and I hope they will bve worthy of your =
instrument.".... etc. When Beethoven died the six 8ve mahogany Broadwood =
grand was given to Franz Liszt who left it in his will to the Hungarian =
National Museum in Budapest. It was later used by Melvyn Tan for a =
series of recitals in Budapest, Bonn (where Beethoven was born), Vieanna =
(where he died) and London where it was made. It is insured (this is the =
interesting part!) for =A35 million.  That was in 1991. What is its =
value now - 12 years later?... I could go on, but everyone MUST be bored =
by now.
Regards
Michael G (UK)
Any more?