grand hammer hanging question

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:04:05 +0100

Hello Jon,

Nice to read you, I hope you're doing fine.

I'd check the global geometry to understand the letoff problem. Are
the action rail wood ? how is the spread ?

Are the parts original ? I've seen hammers badly hanged even on
prestigious brands, so everything is possible, but the piano when new
was certainly not regulated like this so where does the problem come ?
Where the rollers changed for biggest ones ?
Can you obtain a good drop ?

Have you checked with Kawai original specs ?

Kawai are generally over centering by 2-3 mm , for what I know, this
make repetition better , but less evident to have a "clear touch" - a
good touch is generally obtained with a very small drop.
You could, shim under the hammer rail to get where you want (have it
higher), drilling hammers longer, as David say, mean the rake angle
change and the strike point for the treble  will have to be double
checked - it shorten the tails also, and traveling is harder with tall
heads.

I did not understood what model it was

Good luck - take care.

Euro Greetings