Making a soundboard-S&S L board

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 01:32:07 EST

In a message dated 11/12/2003 8:47:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:
Based on recent experiences which have me viewing older soundboards with a
degree of suspicion, the question I have is whether or not crown necessarily
equates to stiffness.  If the issue with soundboards is whether or not they have
adequate stiffness to create that opposing spring, is measured crown enough of
an indicator?  In other words, is it possible that a soundboard may show
adequate crown but not have adequate stiffness to perform properly when loaded?

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

      Dave
      It depends on how you define adequate. The answer to your last question
is yes but more often no. I've seen very flexible boards with good crown that
still had sufficient stiffness. An Ivers & pond 6 ft. comes to mind. It had
short ribs but a . 400 thick panel & high tension scale. An awesome piano with
amazing sustain. It seemed to depend on more panel stiffness. When strung the
board was flat. And unloaded it sprung up a mile. It's less common to have
good looking hemispherical crowned board that exhibits stiffness produce a bad
sound, but it happens as you know. The sustain was like an organ.
   As one works with a variety of sound boards a good deal can be determined
by a tactile sense about board stiffness. I didn't mention as to how stiff
this L board was. It was very stiff. As stiff as any rib crowned board I'm
accustomed to.
    What do I mean? This will answer Crashvalves question as well. When
pre-stressing a board with good legitimate crown values as I described, it does
require having the plate in and secured with bolts & screws. Enough so that when
driving the maple wedges between the struts and the bridge tops it (the plate)
doesn't flex. Typical deflection values will be roughly 3 mm at the central
strut 2 mm at the first tenor strut & 1 mm or maybe only .05mm at the top. The
low tenor strut about 1 to 1.5. Glenn, these wedges are pushed in with my
thumb while I'm pounding on the bridge top with my fist until it feels like I'm
pounding on a gym floor which means it's very resistive to further deflection.
The exception is the low tenor. It's not good practice to get overzealous here
this very flexible & thinner corner of the board driven by more mass & so
requires less bearing anyway.
  In more flexible boards you could drive them into reverse crown if not
careful.Thes also usually have nominal crown. ie. 3 mm on the longest ribs
unstrung. This to me is not crown These are the ones I'd be tonally suspicious of.
  Dale