Appraisal aid

Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:53:16 +0100

Hi folks

I have this old square from around the 1820's or so... hard to date
exactly... spinkly sort... really small hammers leafed drapstoff
dampers, nice case. I have to completely restore this thing and will be
yanking the soundboard for flattening (which will either be done by
steaming or by removing the ribs and refitting them)

What I need is help putting a basic dollar figure on what such a thing
is worth. Fully restored in complete working order... no new parts
except textiles and absolutely necessary things.

I'll post a picture of this in a few days... You wont believe the
"bridge repair" that has been effected at some time in the past.  C.Lose
is the name on the fall board... a Danish company that contracted
several builders of the time to manufacture for them. These things are
starting to get a bit rare now. We had some numbers given us at the
Helsinki convention about remaining pieces from 17th and 18th century
pianos... and there are not that many left in Europe...let alone
functional. This is a bit later... but not that much.

Consider is fully functional, restored with as many original elements as
is possible, replaced elements as close to original in material and
style as possible. Really nice case in good shape, original finish
cleaned up and looking nice.

How much can such a thing be worth.

Thanks

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.

Remember Matthew Sheppard, Oct. 11th 1998, Laramie Wyoming.