Help with Steinway Model..

Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:29:29 -0000

Hello Phil
You said:
"If I have a chance to go back tomorrow and see this piano again, is =
there any way to better define what model this piano is? Is there a =
place to look..underneath..on the plate..in the action cavity..that =
might help the 'better informed' reading this thread to help me =
determine what model this piano really is?"=20
It seems that Barbara and I both have what should be identical S&S "A"s =
- though, of course, they didn't in the "just pre-war" years (1914-18 of =
course) say on the plate what model it was. You must simply measure it =
from stem to stern in inches. I should be 6' 2" o/a. Looking at mine now =
- Nr.164082 - apart from that tone-bell and Sos-ped. and 88 keys there =
is one item no-one has mentioned... is it a 20 Bass - or a 26 Bass? The =
former is the later model (if you understand me!) That's the number of =
notes in the Bass break. Mine has 20 Bass and 5 covered pairs at the =
bottom of the tenor break. Does it have round "elephant" legs or square =
tapered ones. When S&S say the rim is "square end" they don't mean =
literally square - it means the tail end is not semi-circular like the =
6' 0" earlier model "A"s but has a flattened end with rounded rim to =
spine and to treble side. Just like the "D" in fact. I also noticed a =
number stamped on the underside of the rim near the tone-bell. In my =
case it is 854. S&S tell me mine is definitely Hamburg made and imported =
into the UK in February 1914 - and has a rose-wood case. At the time of =
approaching Steinway to help date my piano I also asked what the =
embossed numbers on the tail end of the plate indicated. I had been told =
by someone in the piano trade this was the date of manufacture of the =
plate. Steinway, however, told me this is the Patent date. To date my =
piano has been played by a number of well-known pianists including Benno =
Moiseiwicz, Benjamin Britten, Clifford Benson, Martin Isepp, Luiza =
Borac. I only wish I had been the proud owner when Benno & Ben played =
it! The only thing which has been done to this S&S has been when I =
recently replaced the rollers (knuckles) - otherwise - same strings, =
hammers, dampers etc. It's a bit of a shrine really and I don't want to =
disturb the vibes....
Regards
Michael G (UK)