pinblock duplicating jig

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:41:56 EST

In a message dated 11/15/2003 8:34:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes
     To date I've probably done about a
dozen this way. The oldest one was done 20 years ago and still real nice pin
feel.
Although, it takes more time to do it this way, it's a whole lot less
frustrating and painstaking compared to duplicating multi-level pinblocks or
figuring out how to splice a new pinblock into a slanted one that is part of
the case!
For standard type pinblocks, I just do it like everyone else, but for the
really goofy stuff, this is the way to go, IMHO!<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police

  Joe
  Thanks for the perspective. I'm glad to know I probably didn't screw up
completely.
   I drilled only 1/2" holes but some still interlocked. I did use tight bond
however which I consider a strong wood glue. Also the block was not splitting
up or degraded. There is a reason S&S & others discontinued this style of
block without the complete plate flange arrangment of more modern designs & I
believe it to be the torque factor that these designs put on the stretcher due to
the severe draft angle to the pins. I work on an Old S&S 9 ft that the
stretcher is showing cracks. But hey only after 130 ish years. What do I know.
 Plugging the block is more time consumning than a standard block fer sure
dude.
   Dale