In-Home Vertical Damper Replacement

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:24:30 +0000

Hi Terry,

I don't know about the best, but this might help you out.  First, did you
already get the pr-cut dampers?  Wasn't that you asking about that a few
weeks ago?

First, leave the hot glue in the shop, where it belongs.  Get some Weldbond
white glue (I think it's PVA) in a small enough bottle to control, or some
better method if you are sloppy.  It doesn't take much to keep a felt on.
(less is better) You will be using the strings to provide the clamping and
alignment, so bend your wires before you begin, if needed.  Put a little
glue on the felt, then use a good long hemostat to slide the damper felt
down the string to the waiting damper block that you have pulled back from
the string.  Align, release, go to the next.  Call for your shoulder/neck
massage before you go on the call, it's not the most comfortable job.  (but
then, is tuning?)  It sets up pretty quickly, so you can go ahead and start
with the rest of your work when you finish.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection!  Prices start
at less than $1 a day average.  https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
by service area.)