In-Home Vertical Damper Replacement

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:00:35 -0000

Hello Terry Farrell
You wrote:" She will be peering right over my shoulder for the whole job =
- I'm gettin' the Willies! "
Willie - or Willie not? I have it on the best authority of Harpsichord =
makers here in the UK that they use a rubber-based glue for all felt =
attachment work. Called "Copydex" in the old countreeee it really is =
very good. It's clean. It is used cold straight from the container. It =
comes either in a tube or a small white plastic plastic bottle with a =
red plastic screw-top lid attached to which (inside, in the glue already =
rarin' to go) is a brush applicator. Be very careful (here comes the =
caveat) not to spill any of this white glue! You can smear off any =
residue and it rolls off the fingers when you rub it. For total neatness =
I always use a set of ready-cut best French damper felts which are =
available for both uprights (under-dampers) and grands. Each ready cut =
felt is red backed. Having hacked off the old felt (not forgetting to =
keep a pattern of the overstring bit and also to mark in pencil on the =
damper bodies where the clip,wedge,split and pad start and end) I sand =
off the old red backing on the damper heads right down to the wood on my =
belt sander. It is using the ready cuts which makes the difference - the =
ends are so very precise and square - a cutting which I cannot get in =
the sharpest guillotine.;-)
Good luck with your dragon! :-0
Michael G (UK)