In-Home Vertical Damper Replacement

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:12:07 -0600

Terry,

At 15:05 11/19/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks for the responses - a few comments questions belwo:
>  I said:
> > If the action is in your shop _NOW_,    why are you going to do the
> dampers in the home???
>
>See above - I thought that was the only way to do it! Especially in this
>case because the dampers are currently regulated very nicely - if I glue
>in the piano, I shouldn't have to even touch the damper regulation.

Other's suggestions are good, and I _do_ like gluing and using the damper
springs as clamps,  but...

If you are replacing dampers, that implies that they _needed_ replacing.
....and...
You claim that they were well regulated before removal.

You might luck out with the block dampers, but I think that you will find
that the wedges will be lifting later than you want.  The regulation of the
old dampers has followed the wear as they sank further and further into the
strings. (unless they were pre-ossified)

The left/right angle will probably still be OK, but the front/back vertical
angle may need adjustment, as well as the spoons.

YMMV, but I wouldn't count on a free ride re: damper regulation.

my 2¢

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.