Health warning!!

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:15:08 -0700

Thanks for that,, something we should all be aware of..

Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ned Swift=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 6:44 PM
  Subject: OT: Health warning!!

  Hi All

  For you health conscious people and those that should be.  I thought =
that I=20
  was in near perfect health.  I  don't smoke, my cholesterol is normal, =
I am=20
  not over weight, I exercise 30 minutes daily, I eat a low fat/low carb =
diet=20
  and I am only 52.  Certainly not a candidate for heart problems.  Yet, =
the=20
  other morning as I was driving to work, I developed a pain in my chest =
and=20
  left arm.

  My initial thought was indigestion.  But, when the problem persisted =
after=20
  15 minutes, I decided that maybe it was  something more serious so I =
turned=20
  the car around and headed back home.  Once home, I called 911 and =
chewed an=20
  aspirin.  Then, I got a very nice ambulance ride to the hospital.  ( =
The=20
  hospital is a major one in the state and is known for its cardiac care =

  unit.)

  The folks in emergency couldn't find anything wrong with me.  My EKG =
was=20
  normal (no heart damage), the pain was gone and my blood tests were =
normal=20
  for the most part.  The only thing that was remotely off was a blood =
hormone=20
  called troponin.  For normal people, the troponin level is 0.  For =
heart=20
  problems it is 2 or higher.  Mine was 0.2, just slightly elevated but=20
  nothing alarming.

  After 7 hours of observation with no other signs of a problem, they =
decided=20
  to do a heart catheterization on me.  Once they shot the dye into my =
blood,=20
  the problem was obvious.  95% blockage in a major artery supply blood =
to the=20
  heart.  A quick angioplasty followed by the installation of a stint =
(metal=20
  mesh that holds the artery open) and I am on my way back to my room.  =
Total=20
  time was less than 1/2 hour.  BTW, they give you some wonder drugs to =
make=20
  you relax during the procedure.  It was rather strange to be talking =
with=20
  the staff as they are putting things in your heart arteries but that =
was the=20
  way it was.

  The next morning, they sent me home.  Total hospital time was about 24 =

  hours.  Truly amazing.

  I had no reason to believe that there was anything seriously wrong =
with me =20
  prior to this event.  In fact, on Saturday before the event,  I spent =
all=20
  afternoon building a stone wall in my back yard.  Most of the stones =
were=20
  about the size of watermelons and weighted about 100 lbs.  I handled =
them=20
  all by hand and did not have any problems doing it.  Yet, three day =
later, I=20
  was having major heart problems.

  On the day of the problem, I almost ignored the pain telling myself =
that I=20
  was healthy and that the pain was  indigestion.  Even in the heart =
cath lab,=20
  they wondered why I was in there because I was not the typical heart =
patient=20
  with the typical heart problem profile.  Yet, I did have a major =
problem. =20
  If the artery had become completely blocked, they said that it would =
have=20
  killed me.  Fortunately, I didn't ignore the problem.

  Now to the point.  DO NOT IGNORE ANY HEART SYMPTOMS.  Yes, it can =
happen to=20
  you and it doesn't matter if you run 5 miles a day and only eat roots =
and=20
  berries.  And yes, people do drop dead at young ages even though they =
seem=20
  healthy.  When problems arise, don't assume that you are OK just =
because you=20
  think that you are in good health.  Get it checked out.

  FWIW

  Ned Swift

  Lowell, MI