Steinway oddity

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:17:53 -0800

Hello Jack,
     The one I have, an 88-note, round-tail was built in 1893 and shifts
right.  I believe, unless I am mistaken,  only the early 85 noters shift
to the left.  I did have an 1882 A in the shop earlier this year.  It
had a number of different features with respect to the late 85 note A's,
again, unless I am mistaken, that I have seen.  It shifted to the left.
I believe, relying again on a highly fallible memory, that I have seen a
number of 85 note A's that shifted to the right but I believe they were
mid or late 80's.
     Some of these difference noted on the earlier 85 note A's were:
the early 85 note A's  don't have the same lyre as became standard on
Steinways that we are all familiar with, both with regard to metal
components, and the turned woodworking.    I believe, the change from
the wooden fronted lyre to the brass type took place in the middle
80's.  I would guess this was when they changed from left to right
shifting.
     Also, the repetition lever is slightly larger at the flange in that
it it does not exhibit the substantial thinning that was adopted
slightly later.
     The hammers are even smaller thoroughout most of the scale than the
standard hammer that began to be used in the mid eighties and for
several decades thereafter.  But, the bass hammers are, I think,
slightly larger than those subsequently developed.  .
     Finally, the hammers were not reinforced.
     I did not note, or don't remember, but I would not be surprised if
they also lacked a staple.
     Then, there is the ribbing I mentioned in an earlier post.
     All of these things suggest to me that there was a major
refiniement of design of the extant models along with action parts and,
I would guess, this occured in the mid-eighties.
     I am aware, turning to the dating thread, that counting the letter
and adding this to ten is somewhat inexact but, nevertheless, it gives a
reasonable approximation in my opinion.
Regards, Robin Hufford