Fw: Steinway Model..and the winner is..

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 01:11:18 -0800

Hello Michael
     You could measure one of the 26 note "A"s.  The real A, as far as I know
will be 6 ft 1&1/2 inches or thereabouts, unless it is the A3 which will be
6'4'' and which, I think, should be called the A4.   The O is about 5 ft 10&1/2
inches.  So, if your 26 note pianos are this length, perhaps they are what we
call O's here.
     I have often speculated that the O was brought in, not only as a cheaper
instrument which I have read in Fostle's "The Steinway Saga"  to be the case,
but also to satisfy an expectation for the roundtail kind of sound which must
have been well established by the early part of the last century.  There are a
number of knock-off of the roundtail A here in the US suggested the public had
some consciousness of them.  There are also some knock-offs of the half-round A
which the company began producing in 1897.
     This was the year after the death of William Steinway who had been the
managing director of the company for 25 or so years and, perhaps, new blood
enabled new designs to be expressed.
Regards, Robin Hufford