Changing upright bridge location & affects

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:09:24 EST

In a message dated 11/23/2003 5:00:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
Hi Dale,

Del rescaled a M&H 54" upright for me and we went from the cantilevered bass
to a solid, directly-attached, bass bridge. However, the speaking lengths on
note #1 only changed from 46.5" to 46.3" and from 38.7" to 38.4" at note #26
(highest bass note).

>> Did you think this change was a noticeable tonal improvement? It sounds as
if the basic overall position of the bridge changed little but if there was a
change on a scale of 1-10 how much. Totally subjective but go for it.

Sorry, this doesn't help you with your damping questions though. Interesting
concern though - would sure like to hear what others may have found in cases
such as this.
>> Me too

Regarding bass bridge shape and ultimate position - is it not best to let
that be determined by rescaling data?
>>>Yes it is but I also don't wish for the bridge to sit too far out on the
board/rib edge which is what I suspect the logic of the cantilever is all about
in the first place.
And it might be interesting to see how the scaling would work out if a
transition tenor bridge was considered.
  >>> Yes it would. But can't afford to go to far on this.
   Thanks --Dale