verdigris-Goof off

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:11:07 -0500

Dear List,
    Somewhere on this list I believe was mentioned the use of "GOOF-OFF"
solvent for treatment of verdigris in action centers.I have a clients
Knabe upright -1890's that I've thrown the kitchen sink at to ease the
sluggishness. This piano has the worst case of this gunk I've ever seen
and on ALL the centers. protek, Goose juice ,Goose + ballistol . Nothing
helped , not even short term .
    I remembered a posting about this Goof Off as a treatment and
thought why not. This stuff is EVIL! Made with Xylene and Toulene Use in
a very well ventilated area or better yet outside cause it is strong!
    I applied liberally ,working the parts applied again ,moving and
juicing the centers and it did wash the crap out!The down side is that
several centers are now too loose and need repining.
    I'll bet the condition will return, but on a piano such as this that
does not support the investment of all new action parts I'm hoping for
some reasonably long term success .
    Keep you posted.
  Tom,  Verdigris buster -Driscoll