Impact tuning hammer.....wanted.

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:11:52 -0600

Bill,

Yes, I admit that I do carry a traditional hammer for those very low torque
pins.  I find that I only have to use it maybe 5% of the time, if that.  By
screwing on a low mass weight, I find I can use the impact hammer on pretty
low torque pins without having to pull out my traditional lever.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

                      Bill Ballard
                      <yardbird@vermont        To:       Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      el.net>                  cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Impact tuning hammer.....wanted.
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      11/25/2003 04:30
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

At 1:01 PM -0600 11/25/03, cswearingen@daigger.com wrote:
>I'm not sure what percentage of tuners use an impact hammer but it seems
>be pretty low.  This has always surprised me because I feel an impact
>hammer is quicker and more efficient and less tiring than using a
>traditional lever.  It makes me wonder why the person on this list is
>selling theirs?

Corte,

I've still got mine, a Mehaffey from 20 years ago. I quickly
discovered that impacting wasn't appropriate at torques under 100"/#,
and I could get enough impacting out of a standard hammer with #3 tip
on a 2/0 pin (that is, until torques climbs above 150-160"/#, in
which case I'm sorry not to have the thing along). So I use a
standard hammer.

Yes, I'd agree that the impact method can be quicker and more
efficient as tuning pins get tighter and tighter. But I'm very happy
with one hammer which can give me both impact approach and the
connected pulse approach. (No, I didn't mention slow'n'steady pull at
all.)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"No, Please wait, you're all individuals" Brain Cohen, exasperated
"Yes, we're all individuals"  the throng assembled in the street
                 below his window, in unison
"I'm not..."  Lone dissenter.
     ...........Monty Python's "Life of Brian"