hammers and wool

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:34:28 -0800

BTW  Hardness does not always equate to tension.  Some American techs like a softer style hammer that will develop on its own without, or with minimal use of "densifiers", as I prefer to think of them.  There are a few such options on the market.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Brekne
To: Pianotech
Sent: 11/26/2003 5:12:16 PM
Subject: Re: hammers and wool

antares wrote:

Hello Michael and list.
As I have mentioned before here, there are several ways to Rome :
One is 'an' American way. Many American techs like their hammers soft
from the beginning so that they can slowly build up hardness by adding
hammer dope. As you probably know hammer dope can be colodion, lacquer,
or combinations of chemicals and plastic.
Then there is the European way : hammers have hardness and tension as
they leave the hammer maker and the technician lessens the tension by
needling.
What Richard questions here is : is it necessary to use the natural
fibers in the wool (the hammer felt) or do we not use the elasticity of
the felt but instead use the hardening  characteristics of hammer dope?
(Whaddaya Ricardo?)

Er.... well actually I was just wondering what Lanolin had to do with all this :):)

But when you first are on about it... I line up with the purists on this one, as a matter of personal preference. That being said those guys and gals over there who are masters of the art of hammer laquer can create  very nice tone... albiet a bit different then hammers ala naturelle' but very pleasing.  I guess in the end it boils down to some pretty subjective critera for what kind of sound we like. Hard to break this down into a "whats right and whats wrong" discussion IMHO.
I guess what I am saying is that I'm kind of a relativist kind of guy..... relatively speaking that is :)
(warning...flame suits on)
friendly greetings from
antares
the Netherlands