Hammers- alcohol treatment/Isaac

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:48:45 -0600

Hi Michael,

At 10:45 AM 11/27/03 +0000, you wrote:
>Hellooo Avery T
>Thanks for your answer:" How often have you voiced an upright action with it
>in your lap?
>Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)"
>(I rather asked for that didn't I?:-)

Yep. :-)

>"Hammer Iron picture is from the H.J. Fletcher & Newman Ltd. webpage.
>The main difference is the one we're talking about is electric."
>Yup... I have F&N's cat next to me. Didn't know there was an eclectric
>version...
>And:Yup

If I had a scanner and my Schaff catalogue here, I could probably
send you a pic.

>"2.  Yamaha style voicing Blocks. 8" & 2 1/2" Length"
>What do these look like?"
>Thanks to Andre Oorebeek in his amazing cat: www.grandpiano.nl I have found
>a piccy of a set of blocks such as you describe.

Yep. That's the type, although slightly different from Yamahas' blocks.
I didn't think of looking on Andre's site. Thanks.

Those look like they might be better. On some pianos, the other ones
tend to get wedged between the wippen rail and backchecks, making them
a little difficult to get out.

>I've tried but I can't find a picture. It's just a wedge shaped
>block of wood the app. dimensions listed above which is inserted
>behind the wippens and in front of the backchecks (after the hammers
>are lifted out of the way, of course) and then the hammer tails rest
>on that block for support while voicing. With steam, needles, whatever
>when the hammers need support.
>
>Thanks for this too - it all makes obvious common sense. I must be getting
>mental aberrations in my aged state....;-)

Well, I've had my moments, too. You're not the only one who's kind
of "long in the tooth"! :-)

>Regards
>Michael G (UK) on a clear sunny morning in the Sussex Downlands

Avery