C.Lose Square Piano

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:32:48 EST

In a message dated 11/28/2003 9:19:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

Hi Joe

As far as the reasoning for the ribs... take a gander at this picture with
the shape of the bridge roughly drawn in. Seems to me they were maybe thinking
that this ribbing pattern would support the bridge area against downbearing.
One rib traces the bridge almost dead underneath for most of the bass lower
treble. The two longest ribs run on either side, and along with the cross rib they
perhaps were meant to hold the whole area up.

  Ric ,your assuming that maker added any appreciable downbearing at all to
the system.  After working with so many good sounding uprights over the years
which had negligble bearing it may be safe to say that that most uprights are
mainly  mass driven systems not requiring much ribbing support except to keep
the board more rigid even though it's flat.  I suspect your square & many like
it are the possibly the same kind of concept.
  Dale