Dummy Damper/Carl

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:09:52 -0600

At 10:22 AM -0800 11/29/03, Carl Meyer wrote:
>If the collective damper springs can push the rod out of the way, what about
>the one spoon that is slightly misadjusted?  It doesn't have enough force by
>itself to push the rod.  That damper will ring.

Carl,

It's the other way around. Some folks are asserting that the rod can
push the collective damper levers and their springs enough to cause
leakage unless you have a auxiliary damper lever. I am just saying,
"No way!". On a properly designed and adjusted damper system this
just isn't going to happen. See my Young Chang reference in my post
to Ron.

As for your misadjusted spoon illustration, I unable to see your
point with regards to the rod?

>It's important that the rod not be in contact with any dampers in its off
>position.  Some meet that without the dummy damper.  If it doesn't you need
>it.

That criteria is customarily taken care of by introducing lost motion
in the sustain pedal, not by having a dummy damper. Please keep in
mind, I am referring to properly designed and adjusted damper
systems, not ones out of whack or in disrepair.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731