Dummy Damper/Tom

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:10:46 -0500

At 1:57 PM -0500 11/29/03, Tom Driscoll wrote:
>Keith,
>	Respectfully I think your missing the concept here.

If you have been reading all the posts thus far sent by me, it eludes
me how you could say such a thing.

Tom D response:	It seemed to me that because you observed some vertical
actions where the design made the dummy unnecessary, you contended that
it was superfluous in all actions without the split rod--the point I so
inarticulately was making

>... The
>dummy is not a shortcut . It's a simple and effective method to keep
the
>lift rod away from the levers.

I perfectly understand what you are declaring. I just don't accept it.

To repeat my position: I am asserting that the auxiliary damper
lever's primary purpose is not for such a thing at all, but was
introduced with the two lift rod pianos in mind to keep the two rods
acting as though they were one.

Tom D. response: I think we will have to agree to disagree on this
little feature and its intent

>  The squeak as earlier mentioned is a
>common problem but an easy fix.

The squeak was never an issue with me. I agree with you. Of course
the squeak can be remedied.

Tom D. response: Ahh! We can agree. I didn't presume that the squeak
would be a mystery to an accomplished technician such as you, but the
original query was placed by a new technician who perhaps could benefit
by this little tip. (Joe G's suggestion of using leather as a spring
punching well noted)

Sincerely,
	Your comrade,
	Tom Driscoll RPT