Question for piano designers

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 06:44:15 -0500

Don't we have one or more piano engineers on this list?  Certainly one of them
has considered the purpose of the liftrod spring on verticals and decided why to
eliminate or retain it in pianos they designed.  Now would be a good time to
hear from you on its purpose, so we really know rather than batting around
opinions.

I would also suggest eliminating the term "dummy" from this discussion.  A dummy
part does nothing, like a center pedal that was never hooked up to anything.
Apparently this spring lever has a purpose, even if we're not sure what it is.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT