Dummy Damper/Keith

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:11:14 -0800

Keith,
I agree with your premise. If the action is properly designed and
manufactured, there is no need for the "dummy damper". However, I think you
are missing a point. That is, in manufacturing a piano, there are so many
places that a mistake can happen, in the sequence of making the piano, that
there becomes the need for "wiggle room", so to speak. An example that is
pertinent to this: If the action mounting bolts were set a little too far
towards the front of the piano, this would make it a necessity for the
action to be slightly tipped towards the back of the piano. This would put
the damper lift rod out of it's axis, so to speak. Which in turn would allow
the rod to swing towards the back of the piano, thus slightly engaging the
damper levers. This is so simple of a mistake in action set-up. Yet, it
happens all the time. The Assembly line is not going to come to a screeching
halt, just so the action bolts can be repositioned! That's a fact, that I
have seen, many times. Therefore, the "designer" is forced to have the
"dummy damper" as part of the system. This is dictated by the "bean
counters"/"efficiency expert types", that have more say-so in the actual
production of said piano. That, unfortunately, is the real life of
manufacturing!
I agree, in a perfect world, the "dummy damper" should not be needed, IF the
action is correctly engineered. If you want some real insight as to the
difference between what the Designer specified and what really happens on
the assembly line, talk to Del, some time, with appropriate Micro Brews to
go with.<G> You will truly have your eyes opened to how difficult it is to
get "Production" to make it as designed!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I