David Love AA Mason & Hamlin

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:00:49 EDT

      David
    I have a 1950's AA Mason that has one long bridge and 5 bichords on the
bottom of it. I like the sound the bichords produce and the transition is quite
good. I think your choice to switch to bichords a good one.
   A wonderful sounding piano with its original board. Great sustain & tone
color. Phil Ford played it. I believe he enjoyed it! It's biggest fault is the
draft angle behind the agraffes which can be changes only by grinding metal
which I did on my Sisters AA. Its one serial no. apart from mine. They are very
identical sounding. Too bad the agraffes are such freaks. Some one needs to
make some. It seems Old Chickerings & perhaps some others use something similar?

A MH is, in fact, what this was all about.   The inside of the hole was so
full of gunk that I ended up doing as you suggest you do, which is to
enlarge the hole just slightly as well as the countersunk area on either
side.  The hole is still a bit smaller than the normal new agraffe, so I'm
trusting it will be okay.  As it turns out (for those following the agraffe
thread), I was able to procure a few 9/32" doubles from Schaff (from the
old APSCO stock) which was really all I needed.  I wanted to change the
scaling on this AA slightly, substituting bichords for the trichords on the
transition bridge so I needed only about 6 doubles.  This all happened in
conjunction with recapping the bridges.   Of course, I went ahead and made
all the changes before I bothered to pull the agraffes only to discover the
odd size of the shank.  Had me sweating for a bit.  Seems that it will work
out.  Did we learn something here?  You'd think I'd have remembered from
the last time!

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net